Monday 26 June 2023

Kathy Paton has been making beads with Tyvek paper

She wanted to share this with you, so that maybe you too would like to have a go at home.

First I painted an A4 sheet of Tyvek paper with liquid acrylics ( in my case, Magic Color). The gold is powder that is sprinkled on wet paint. Other paints would work, just might not be as deep in colour. 


When dry, I used scissors to cut the paper in long triangles as I wanted rounded beads. For tube like beads, cut in rectangles.

I wound the paper around a bamboo skewer (not metal as they conduct heat) towards the pointy end. Needs to be a round skewer, not flat. I pressed the skewer with the end piece facing the ground so it didn’t unravel. I did this outside so there was no problems with any fumes. I heated the paper with a crafting hot air gun, slowly turning the stick as the paper contracted.

Some others I made. 

I found using Tyvek paper was easier than Tyvek fabric. I bought mine from eBay: 

 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401686924994? mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ZnLf0tp8RuW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Ui oiWqN1SFq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY